Sunday, March 2, 2008

Appreciation

Just a little nugget of sweetness I picked up yesterday. We went to the dress shop, for a final alteration on Hayley's dress. She decided she would prefer to have straps, rather than wear her dress strapless.

The color of her dress is a pretty unusual shade of lilac, so I was a little concerned that they might not be able to help us. I needn't have worried. They found a match within seconds.

"That's amazing!" I exclaimed to the dressmaker as she pinned the straps on to the dress, "how lucky are we?"

She smiled at me and said, "It's because you appreciate".

Huh?

She went on to explain, that in all of her years of dressmaking and tailoring, it is always the customers who come in with cranky attitudes that they have the most trouble with. The customer is nasty, and then a seam doesn't come out straight, or a crease is wrong, or they can't find a proper match for a button.

The customers that come to her with gratitude and appreciation for her efforts, always have things work out for them.

Her theory has consistently proven itself to be true.

I've always felt like people respond better to kindness, and try to live my life like that. But now I have a new mantra to add, and I like it.

Appreciate.

xoxo

No comments: