Thursday, June 7, 2007

Good Morning


I have been so busy this week with my business, that I have had to let my little family rely on each other, instead of me. For the past two nights, I had to dash out of the house at around 5:00 pm to set up events. The girls are older now, so I don't need to wait for a sitter. That is a bonus of parenting teens and almost teens. Of course, my husband came home shortly after I left, and he took charge of the crew.

I came home around 10:30, and when I walked into the house I heard the chattering of six year old, Addison. Initially, I was irritated, that she hadn't been put to bed, but as I went up the stairs to check things out, I stopped. I peaked into the hall bathroom, and there was my Sydney (age 12) giving Addie a bath. No one knew I was home, but I just watched and listened to the sweet banter between these two sisters. Sydney was gentle and sweet, and carried on patiently with her little sister. Addie, who is sometimes a little feisty, sat calmly for her big sister and listened intently to the loving words Sydney spoke.

I stood there for a long time, watching my girls. The responsible thing might have been to make my presence known, and give Syd a hand, but getting to be a "fly on the wall" is a precious and rare privilege. As I watched, starry eyed, for I had caught a special moment, I remembered again how lucky we are. It is the small moments that I need to take more time to appreciate. The big things, the Bat Mitzvah we are planning, summer at camp, maybe a vacation, these grand things dwarf these small simple moments, but it is these moments that are the true building blocks of our lives.

3 comments:

Email Marketing Yenta said...

I remember when we were little. All I wanted to do was take care of my little sister! Memories I'll never forget. Wendi

Daniella said...

Hi there,
I share the same LID as your sister and have been following your blog - It's so wonderful and I love reading it. You have a beautfiul family. I hope to meet your sister soon and who knows, maybe we'll even be in China together. Just wanted to say hi and tell you I love your blog!

LJC said...

Daniella! Thank you for your kind words. You and my sis having the same LID makes you practically family!

Thank you so much for reading!!!

Lori