Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day to Me?


I am at the end of a long and adventurous Mother's Day. We had twenty people over for lunch, and I'd like to thank the kitchen staff at Short Hill's Deli for slicing up some fine meat. (Wendi would like to especially send her gratitude to the Pickle chef, because I think she single handedly nailed about 2 dozen pickles.)

Mother's Day has always been a great source of stress for me. Because we have two mom's, a step-mom and a grand-mom to celebrate on Mom's Day, my Mother's Days wants and needs are always somewhat peripheral to the overall celebration. Each of these mom's have different requirements. My mom prefers to eat out on Mother's Day. My mother-in-law prefers NOT to go out on Mother's Day, because restaurants are so crazy. To complicate matters, we have about 5 additional family birthdays in May. (I usually say that because of all the presents to buy, May is my own personal December).

I just want everyone to be happy. So I usually volunteer to have everyone at my home, just so we can all be together, and so Gregg, the girls and I don't have to run around visiting everyone separately on Mother's day. It's great to have the house full, it makes it feel like a home. But to be honest, my ideal mother's day would be spending the afternoon with my mom and my three girls, (and yes, my sister), just going to the movies or having a girlie lunch together.

Nevertheless, we had a picture perfect day. The best part, and I mean the very best part was the video my girls made me. So precious. I will post it as soon as I figure out how to. But the wrote me a song, and made a little movie. The most rewarding part was seeing them co-operating and being creative together. Besides that, my Addie (age 6) made me some adorable presents at school. Key chains, jewelry boxes, beautiful cards. But I (must admit my favorite gift from her was the beautifully decorated golden crown. I wore it for the better part of the day, and I did feel very much like a queen.

The final and most beautiful part of the day was the walk I took with my husband and my littlest daughter (and the two scruffy mutts). We meandered down to the lake in our neighborhood, and passed a horse drawn carriage clip-clopping its way down the street. (I don't know why). It was miraculous and strange to see such a thing in our little suburban neighborhood. I sat on the park bench at the lake and watched from afar as Gregg and Addie skipped stones into a pond. I didn't have my camera, but I tried to take a picture in my head. The sun shining through Addie's thick wavy hair., Gregg in his shorts, looking not much older than the day we met 18 years ago. He plays so beautifully with his little girl. So much better than I do. I'm not nearly that much fun. But in that moment, she got a memory. A simple few minutes with her daddy. No whining, no crying, no phones ringing, no computer, no telephone. Just pure and unadulterated sweet fun. I want to be able to give them each more of that, I just have to remember to more often.

Okay, well it's late, I'm tired.



That's all!!!