Tuesday, May 22, 2007

American Idol is Not for Kids

I am sitting alone on my couch watching the American Idol. I'm completely obsessed with it. When the girls were younger, we would all watch together, and even bicker over who to vote for. Now, 6 years later, they simply don't care at all. Sydney's busy on the computer, Hayley's upstairs, probably talking on her cell, and Addie's busy with another art project.

Am I really the target audience for American Idol? Why is it, that the kids are so disinterested while a middle aged woman (and most of my friends, for that matter) are so eager not to miss a minute? I'm pretty sure, I'm not what they had in mind when they first conceived of the show.

How did I become an undesirable demographic? I swear I thought I'd never be this age. Not that 43 is "so old", but when they start making a big deal about people who are younger than me turning forty, I realize, my ship has sailed!! I already have old people health issues, like high cholesterol. I have hair that needs to be dyed every six weeks or my gray roots make me look skunk-like. And I'm now using the beauty products labeled for "mature skin".

What I remember every day, but I think my daughters couldn't possibly understand, is that I don't feel like I've changed much at all since I was 14. A little more self-confidence and quite a few more pounds, but I look in the mirror and I still see a little girl.

Have you ever met a stranger, who you think must be older than you, and then you come to find out that they are actually 4 years younger? Or, at a high school reunion, do you see old friends and swear, they haven't really changed? When we see strangers, we label them based on their appearance, but with people we know, we see just...them.

I'm sure what people see is a middle aged suburban, soccer mom, but if they really knew me, they'd see a playful, silly, fun-loving, good humored girlie girl. It's all in your perspective.












MATURE MOM V S. GIRLIE GIRL


P.S. VOTE FOR BLAKE :)

1 comment:

Email Marketing Yenta said...

Trust me...Hayley and Syd are loser with a capital L...I have a feeling we will be going to the American Idols live without them. Addie should know better .And I need u to know something..I look at you are even though u sometimes act slightly older then me...you still look like my little sister Lori. That will never change.
PS Go Blake!