Sunday, May 27, 2007

Delicious Summer













One of the things I like best about my neighborhood is the lakes and beaches that are here for the residents. For a very reasonable $325 per year, we have tennis courts, basketball courts, playgrounds, well kept common areas, even some community parties. But the best part is the lake. Large and still, with suburban homes surrounding it, our lake is a wonderful place to spend the day.

When the girls were little, we used to spend every summer day on this lovely lake. They learned to swim here, caught tiny tad-poles and smelly snails, we donned safety vests and went canoeing and paddle boating, got more than our share of sunburn, built sand castles and made friends.

We spent the day at the lake yesterday, to celebrate the beginning of summer. It was a perfect day, but bittersweet for me.

This year will be the 5th summer that I have packed my entire family up (okay, we leave the husband at home), and take the girls to overnight camp. Most parents leave their kids there, but I stay up with them, for 8 weeks, working in the arts and crafts department. It's a complete lifestyle change for me, because the girls sleep in bunks, and I sleep in my own private cabin. I do no laundry, cooking, carpooling or major cleaning. My children are occupied, cared for and are having the time of their life. My job is rewarding and fun, I get to get messy and work with a myriad of different craft materials, I supervise a group of about 10 college aged counselors, I get to excercise my creative energy, and spend A LOT of time giggling with one very special girl friend.

The beginning of the summer is always a little tough for me emotionally. For a lot of moms, this is a time to gear up for summer activities, vacations and a slower pace. For me, this time is spent shopping for clothes and socks and bathing suits, labeling everything, foraging through the hall closet praying that I'll be able to find all 9 duffle bags that will need to be packed. Bottom line is, that I am BUSY preparing to move away.

It is this time of year when I look longingly at my flower beds, and feel a tinge of sadness that I won't be home to water and nurture them everyday. I'll miss preparing dinner on our new barbecue, and sitting on our screen porch watching my girls and their friends jumping on the trampoline. I'll miss sipping a glass of wine with my husband when he gets home from work and sharing our stories of the day. I'll miss my morning telephone call to my mom. Not to mention the countless back and forth with my sister. I'll miss General Hospital, (my favorite guilty pleasure), the joy of central air conditioning, my own cooking, carpeting, cleanliness, straight hair, Special K with Red Berries, walking on flat surfaces, my computer, reading stories with Addison at night, manicures, my shower, having someone to snuggle with as I fall asleep, and of course I'll just miss my girls.

It's always sad to leave, and transition into a new lifestyle. But of course we adapt, and our way of life at camp becomes not too bad. Before we know it, 8 weeks fly by and its time to come home and unpack and settle back in.

One of the best things about camp is that moment when we get home. We're filthy and tired, but this is the day I get my life back. I can just be with my girls and appreciate how magnificent they are. Without a summer at camp, I might not understand what a luxurious life I lead. I get to do the cooking. I get to do the cleaning. I get to do the laundry. I get to do the schlepping. And even though, through most of the year, these responsibilities seem thankless, it is at the end of the summer, when I get to do them again, that I can really appreciate how truly blessed I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the time of year that I get depressed. You have know idea how hard it is not to be able to talk to you. I love you.