Thursday, January 31, 2008

All Bat Mitzvah All the Time

Five weeks away, and I'm now in it completely. I'm sorry.

When we set out to do this, I was determined not to "over-do" the party. I don't want to be one of those parties that takes what is basically a 13 year olds birthday party and turns it into a wedding. But as I'm going through it, I'm realizing the over-do-ing of the party is really a matter of perspective.

My girls have been in the bar/bat mitzvah circuit and are completely jaded by the experience. The touches that I feel are above and beyond necessary are, to the girls, completely expected and basic. Crazy.

I'm trying to throw a party that will make 130(plus) kids happy, 100 (plus) adults happy and I'm learning that this is probably impossible. I want balance, and simplicity. I'm not so sure that's what we're going to get. But I'll keep trying.

Anyway, I'm still over the moon with excitement, and when this is over, I'm going to miss the constant conversations, planning, and anticipation. Isn't there a saying that "Life is what happens while you are making plans" ? That is so true, and that's why this part of the process is just as much fun as the day itself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please do not forget to do your part for Jewish charities at I've Done My Part, Inc., http://www.ivedonemypart.org

Thank you

LJC said...

i'm not sure who anonymous is, but I'm so glad that you made mention of an opportunity for us to do good. the girls have each selected a charity to donate part of their gift money to. hayley's is "to write love on her arms" an organization that helps combat teen depression and suicide. she found this organization through the website of a favorite band.

syd is planning on donating to the interfaith homeless outreach council. this is an organization run close to our community that helps a homeless men with shelter and recovery programs. our temple participates in this program, in fact we spent an evening with a group of participants back in december.

i'm humbled...and frankly, i don't want to give the impression that this whole thing is about the party. i am grateful for the comment. :)

KJ said...

its so great the girls are learning about charity and giving ... they are amazing girls from an amazing, giving and caring family! i think is is SO wonderful they are donating some of the money they get.
i think it is also ok for this to be a bit about the party. life is hard - and it is so important to celebrate the happy moments. yes, we must not forget to remember those in need - but it is also ok to celebrate and have fun... and yes, be a bit over the top! enjoy the planning ... enjoy the day! i cant WAIT to see pics of you stunning clarks! :)

Email Marketing Yenta said...

I am proud of the way you incorporating tradition and celebration...

KJ said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!