Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Bursting with pride

We had our first Rabbi appointment today with the entire family to discuss the B'Not Mitzvah, which is just 6 weeks away...can you believe it? Our Rabbi, is wonderful, everything you would wish for in a spiritual leader, brilliant, yet personable, with a kind and gentle demeanor. I feel so proud to be part of this congregation and equally as proud that he is our leader.

The girls read aloud to the Rabbi their "D'var Torah" speeches. These are pretty in depth speeches which relate the Torah portion they are reading on their Bat Mitzvah day, to their own lives. Though I might have given the girls some suggestions with regard to grammar and spelling, the speeches they wrote were all their own words and thoughts.

Though I do not wish to share details today about the themes of their speeches, I have to say, I am bubbling over with pride at their beautiful accomplishment. By the time they were finished reading, both Gregg and I were dabbing away the tears.

I was so pleased that the Rabbi expressed how well they had written these speeches. He said, sometimes when the kids write, you can tell that they are just going through the motions. But, it was evident, that both of the girls gave a lot of thought to what they were saying, and wrote with honesty and intelligence.

After it was over, Sydney remarked that she felt ON TOP of THE WORLD. I reminded her, that if she felt like that with simply a visit to the Rabbi, imagine how she will feel when she is in front of her family and friends.

I know I kvetch a lot about the trials of parenting. But today, was truly a highlight. I am so proud of what they have accomplished so far, and proud to be their mom.

:)

7 comments:

Email Marketing Yenta said...

I am so proud of you Lilshish.
I can't wait to hear what tht have written...

KJ said...

i love hals and syd (and addie) ... you are a wonderful mom to have raised 3 amazing girls. im proud to know YOU!

LJC said...

gut ta nu, i want to pinch kj!!

Email Marketing Yenta said...

I made out with KJo in San Fran

KJ said...

eww - wendi! we did not make out! though, if it meant having you back here... i just might! gut ta nu!! i love you both!!!!!!!

Email Marketing Yenta said...

Lori, we totall made out :)

Susan said...

Okay, right now I'm a little embarrassed to know any of you, but SOOO happy to hear about Sydney and Hayley! :-D