Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Home Sweet Home

We made through a wonderful summer, and now we are all safe and sound, and home. This was a successful summer for all of us, though I think very hard on my husband. Going from a bustling, busy house, to an empty one, for 8 full weeks must be very tough after the first two days. His support for our camp lifestyle is unwavering and I'm so thankful.

In November, 2002, when I was first offered the position at camp, I remember telling Gregg, that this wasn't just about the upcoming summer, instead this was about a lifestyle choice, We would not have ordinary summers that I had expected for our family. No weekend barbecues, no day trips to the zoo, museums or even the dog park. No (very inexpensive) community day camp for the girls; no staying inside in air-conditioned comfort on those days where its not the heat, it's the humidity; no bells jingling from the ice cream man, no lemonade stands. We wouldn't have our daily trek to our nearby beach, no hosing down of sand off of little piggies. No setting up a plastic pool, and watching all the neighborhood children magically appear in bathing suits and flip-flops.

And as I have mentioned before, leaving each year, is heartbreaking. I'm never ready to leave my home, I usually feel like, I just want to have a summer like normal people, though by the end of camp, I feel proud and invigorated that my hard work, and dedication have resulted in my daughters truly enjoying picture perfect summers.

I now consider myself lucky. How many other 40-something women do you know that get to spend their two months in summer camp? I get to be the fly on the wall that we all would now and then like to be. And the campers, not just my own children, but all of the children, that I have now watched grow up, I get to share in their joys and accomplishments. And whether they sing a beautiful song in a talent show, perform in a play, win a competition or are given a special award for their hard work, I cheer proudly, like I would for my own.

I always knew, for sure, that camp is great for my children, but what I didn't expect was that it would be great for our whole family. We are a special little community at camp. Working long days, giggling, sweating, creating, and having fun. We learn we have more potential than we ever thought possible, and that by just working hard, we make beautiful friendships. We learn that kindness goes a long way, and that when dealing with people, patience and understanding are key. We make mistakes everyday, and learn to deal with them, and we can make something wonderful out of very little.

I know this doesn't make a lot of sense, as this is more a stream of consciousness type post than i normally write. Forgive me, I'm tired and it's sooooooo late.

Anyway, glad to be back in the real world!

1 comment:

Email Marketing Yenta said...

As much as I HATE it when u go....I am so happy for you all. And super fabulously fantatstically excited when u return.

I love you .