Saturday, August 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Daddy

I hope Daddy doesn't mind that I'm posting this, but it really touched me. My dad turned 80 on Thursday, and on the eve of his birthday, he sent this e-mail to his family.

He is an extraordinary man, loving, loyal, kind. Heart on his sleeve. Generous. Artistic. Sensitive. A little prickly on the outside, but mushy on the inside.

He is teaching me to savor every moment.

Happy Birthday Daddy. I love you!

I am sitting here unable to sleep It's 2:am and Thinking August 14th 1928 my birthday eighty years old, eighty years old and saying what most eighty year olds say "where the hell did all the years go" Thinking back I could still remember when Roosevelt got elected president Before that remember the day our family moved out of 2443 north Napa street in Philadelphia( parents lost our home during the Great Depression) and sitting in on the floor in the living room as the movers were taking out the furniture and our carpet were rolled up waiting to be put on the moving truck. I think I even remember lying in a little bassinet in our kitchen The woodwork in the kitchen was a pale green I might have been a year or a year and half old That is really looking back almost eighty years ago
I am sitting in front of the computer(it is now 2:30am) and in a little way feeling regretful about some of the things I could have done different But the best thing that happened to me is Joyce My wife My Poor suffering
wife Her family All My girls,Gregg & Joe
To my family to all of my family I love all of you
To my wife My poor suffering wife You are my life and my love, I Love you
Thank you for giving me a wonderful loving family
Aaron

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was a touching moment. Dad - you do have a lot to be thankful for and you've come a long way from that bassinet in the green kitchen. I got a little tear-eyed reading your accounts but look around...you really made it, as they say. I ceremoniously raise my glass of scotch and toast you to another 20 years. C'mon, you can make it to 100!!!

Your adoring son-in-law, Gregg