Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Most Wonderful Day of the Year

It was the first day of school today, and it felt like it always does. The girls awake in the morning with nary a complaint. Their outfits have been painstakingly chosen days earlier. They're fully dressed before I've even emerged from the shower. The mirror gets even more action than usual today, and the beloved flat iron is put to good use. Once each hair is in place, a healthy breakfast is consumed, and a balanced lunch prepared for school. The requisite photograph is taken, (there's been one each year on this day) and we burst with pride as we watch them take their first step into a new year as they load the bus.


In about a week (or less!), I'll be pushing them out of bed fifteen minutes before the bus arrives, they'll be skipping breakfast, throwing hair up in ponytails as they run to catch the already arrived bus. They'll realize as they settle into their seats that they forgot their book bag.

But right now, the first day of the school year is so full of promise. Like the notebooks filled with empty pages, the year ahead has yet to be written, too. There will no doubt be late night sleepovers, new friendships, beloved teachers, pop quizzes, not to mention, this school year is the one where both of my older daughters will celebrate their Bat Mitzvah.

I always felt like the placement of the Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashana) was more practical in our culture. Summer ends, we are rested and ready to tackle life once again. The school year is fresh as are our hopes and dreams for the coming year. The months go by too quickly, and no doubt, things won't always feel this fresh. By May, I'll be freaking out about packing for camp again. But right now is a time of year to be savored. And I naturally make some New Year's resolutions as I reflect on the near future. Maybe this year I'll finally get the closets organized. Maybe I'll finally find time to plant the daffodils, reconnect with long lost friends, take on a new responsibility. Maybe I'll actually stick to a diet. Maybe I'll catch up on the laundry. Maybe I'll start playing piano again or even join a gym. This year, I might just volunteer at my kids schools. Maybe we'll socialize more. Maybe I'll read a lot more books.

I can be sure of one thing. By this time next year we'll be talking about the college countdown. Hayley will be starting high school, and we'll be saying "just 4 more years before she's out of the house". I can't believe how old they all are now, but one day, I'll look back and think about these days and think about how little they were. Until then, I'll treasure every moment.

No comments: