Sunday, September 30, 2007

Loopy's Big Day

I had the most wonderful weekend. My youngest played soccer on Friday night, my middle attended two Bar Mitzvah's (her first as a 7th grader, but she's been to five already), and I packed up my oldest and her pal and drove to Secaucus on Saturday Morning to attend an event my sister had organized. The guests were all families in the process of adopting babies from China, which is an amazing, but very slow process. I got the best job of the day, which was entertaining the children, who needed to be kept busy, so their parents could gather information from the three speakers my sis had lined up. (My sister is incredible).

About three years ago, I taught myself face-painting, and kept busy for a while at childrens birthday parties and fundraisers turning boys in to Spiderman, and the like and making princesses out of little girls. I even registered as a "certified clown" in order to obtain insurance. (My clown name, LOOPY) I gave up doing it professionally, as I had a lot on my plate with my other business, camp responsibilities etc etc.

But I was so happy to dig out my facepaints and work with these gorgeous little faces yesterday. They were such beautiful little girls, that I hated even covering them up. But they love it so much, and I think their parents got a kick out of it, too.

It's such a fun thing to do, I'm considering going back to it again, to make a little extra $$. I just have so little confidence in my skills, that I feel guilty accepting money. That's ridiculous, I know, its just how I am.

It was a great change of pace, it was great to meet my sisters wonderful friends, Susan, Audrey, Jean, Chris and Ruth (and plenty of others). It was amazing to be around people who are expectant parents, in the very beginning of their journey. (Maybe one day, they'll REALLY understand my "Colic was Easier" theory. ) I was told I look like Melissa Gilbert, which I've heard before, but really don't see). I got to meet Jeff Gammage, a Philadelphia Inquirer writer, and the author of an amazing book, China Ghosts. (I recommend it highly, heartfelt and beautifully written, I couldn't put it down). I can't say I've ever gotten to shake hands with an author whose book I've read. (Wait, I take it back, I got to meet Jennifer Weiner, In Her Shoes, Good in Bed, etc. but this was still really cool).

I got to spend some nice quality time with my oldest daughter and her best pal. They are so cute together, they laugh at silly things, stay up late, listen to music, sing songs and go on the internet constantly. They were absolutely adorable.

So, thank you to my sister, for including me in your endeavors, being supportive of me, my children, my business and my diet. l for the wonderful opportunity and fun day. It was perfect.

2 comments:

Email Marketing Yenta said...

Loopy, I could not have done it without YOU!
And I totally see the Melissa Gilbert...you are so pretty shish, in fact prettier then her.

Susan said...

So glad to finally meet the infamous "lilshish"! (Yes, some family secrets should never be told) :-)~

And no offense to Melissa Gilbert, but you look half her age!