Friday, August 21, 2009

Home Sweet Home?

When my oldest daughter was born, I was a young insurance underwriter, not particularly enjoying my job. But I was making good money and had good benefits. We'd just purchased our first house and had a big mortgage payment hovering above.

There was no question that I would need to go back to work within three months after her birth. No problem, right? Everybody does it, this is the world we live in.

She was a fussy baby. Yes, colicky...to the extreme. She was an extraordinarily beautiful baby, with a head full of dark hair and fine delicate features, but boy, was she loud. No one could comfort her like me. No one could love her like me.

As I nursed her (it seemed constant), I would look down at her little face and try to figure out how I could possibly leave her. How could I place her in day care? How will anyone else know how to soothe her? She was so fussy, how would anyone have more patience for her than me?

I would compare the expense of GOING to work (work clothes, commuting, the cost of daycare, the cost of lunches everyday) versus the loss of my salary.

It was clear, I couldn't give up my income.

But I did. I had to. Because for the first time in my life, I had a responsibility that I LOVED. I couldn't leave that to go back to something that I despised.

So I left. Money was tight. But I was where I needed to be.

And I became a Stay at Home Mom.

And I still am. It's been 16 years.

But every summer, for 7 years, I become a working mom for 8 weeks. And during that time, I get to do something that I really love. Really enjoy. Really treasure.

I'm listened to. I'm respected. I'm able to help. I'm able to teach, to create, to collaborate. I make decisions, I set a good example. I'm shown appreciation.

That feels good.

And then I come home.

They don't listen so much around here. (Pick up that towel...pick up that towel...PICK UP THAT TOWEL!!!)
They don't show a whole lot of respect. ("Mom, could you not wear your hair like that, it EMBARRASSES ME")

I'm a chauffeur, cook, laundress, maid, psychologist, nurse, entertainment director, censor and most often, a referee. And I'm not shown appreciation.

I think it's time to go back to work.

I need to put myself in a position where I can take on new challenges, learn new things and find appreciation.

So I'm placing this out into the universe, I'M READY TO BE A WORKING MOMMY!

I think....no, I know. I'm ready.

Job? Where are you?

1 comment:

Email Marketing Yenta said...

so proud of you....you will be amazing as a working mommy. it's hard but you will love having both parts of you! (Like it's only been three months of it for me, but I've learned a ton of lessons!)